8 Limbs of Yoga
The World's First Yoga Doll™ by AZIAM Yoga is based on the 8-Limbed (Ashtanga) Path of Yoga by Patanjali.
This eight-fold path of yoga outlines the moral, ethical and societal guidelines for the practicing yogi. These guidelines create a positive program for a yogi to behave and relate to the world. Our AZIAM Girlz doll collection are a group of eight teenage girls, beautiful from the inside out, making a positive difference in the world today. The sale of each doll and book is donated to a cause / charity related to the theme of each doll.
- Yama: Patanjali considered the Yamas universal vows of non-violence (Ahimsa), truthfulness (Satya), non-stealing (Asteya), self-control (Brahmacharya), and moderation (Aparigraha). When we practice the Yamas we are striving towards living a healthier, more peaceful and balanced life. We made the AZIAM Girl doll, Yama, a cool Surfer Girl with many rescue animal pets who exhibits kindness and respect for all beings.
- Niyama: The second limb of Patanjali’s eight-limbed yoga system contains five internal practices of Niyama (observance) choosing pure food, pure thought, and cleanliness of the yogi’s internal environment of body, mind and spirit. The practice of Niyama helps us maintain a pure and positive environment in which to grow. Niyama the doll is from Brazil, where she hikes the Amazon daily, seeking medicinal herbs for healing and learning about ecological practices to preserve the rainforest. She loves to take care of her health with delicious smoothies, clean water, and natural foods.
- Asana: The physical practice of yoga, consisting of poses or postures which are intended to keep the body fit and aligned. Asana the doll is from Los Angeles, where she loves to take yoga and exercise classes, practice with her pet dog Nama, and eventually become a teacher in her book, Asana's First Yoga Class.
- Pranayama: Controlled breathing exercises of Pranayama create colorful energy for the practitioner to use creatively as artful expressions of Self. Prana the doll is from the Yunnan province of China. She is a highly creative fashion and jewelry designer and loves color and energy.
- Pratyahara: The internal withdrawal of one's senses that lend towards meditation and quiet awareness. Pratya the doll is quiet and aware. She loves to travel and is usually the one noticing events or circumstances that her other AZIAM Girlz miss. She loves science and is building a space ship. She hopes to one day go to space as an astronaut.
- Dharana: This limb of yoga is focused on the concentration of one's mind that allows one to deal with the distractions of the outside world. There is interactive play with Leela (dance of life), while maintaining concentration and self-discipline. Dara the doll represents the song and dance of life. She is the lead singer an all-girl band The Yoginis and we watch her first performance in NYC's Central Park!
- Dhyana: Highly concentrated focus of one's mind in self-awareness and study. Dyana the doll lives in Oxford, England. She hopes to be a professor of creative writing and she has incredible skills of study and focus.
- Samadhi: Unity consciousness, service. Patanjali describes this eighth limb as a state of bliss. At this stage, the meditator merges with his or her point of focus and transcends the Self altogether. Same is the essence of loving service. Along with her mystical pet Unicorn, Bliss, she enjoys making healthy meals and snacks for all of her family and friends. She hopes to have her own healthy restaurant someday.